Home Attorney Profiles Testimonials Family Law Client Login Contact Us
Springfield, MO Divorce Attorney
We offer a level pay plan. Click here to learn more. Click here to receive access 24/7 to your case files. Learn why the attorneys at the Worsham Law Firm are the right choice for you.
Click here to fill out a free case evaluation online.
Read informative news and updates on our legal blog.
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google +
Contact us today by sending an email.

Grandparent Visitation

A question I get every so often revolves around whether grandparents have any right to seek custody or visitation of their grandchildren. Here are a few ways to accomplish that:

  • Intervention in a Dissolution

Under Missouri law, grandparents have a right to intervene, that is, to become a party to, a divorce case in order to determine whether the grandparents will receive either visitation or custody of the children that are subject to the case. Further, grandparents have the right to file a motion to modify a dissolution decree where visitation has been denied.

  • Intervention in a Paternity Action

While Missouri statues, unlike divorce cases, do not provide a specific statutory right of grandparents to intervene in a paternity action, the Missouri Rules of Civil Procedure do. A grandparent may intervene in a paternity action where the parties (the mother and father) do not adequately represent the grandparents' interests.

  • Guardianship

Assuming that neither option discussed above is available, a grandparent may file an independent action in the probate court seeking a legal guardianship over a minor. This is generally more difficult than intervening in a pending custody dispute for at least three reasons. First, a grandparent may not use a guardianship to simply assert visitation rights. A guardianship means that, if the grandparent prevails, he or she will have legal custody of the minor child or children. Second, in order to prevail in a guardianship action (assuming the child has a living parent), a grandparent must demonstrate that the living parent or parents are unfit, unwilling, or unable to perform the function of a guardian. Finally, even if a grandparent prevails, it is possible for a parent to become fit, willing, and able to resume the duties of parenthood. When that happens, the parent may petition the court to set aside the guardianship.

The bottom line is that grandparent visitation is tricky business, but the law does provide avenues by which a grandparent may remain involved in the lives of his or her grandchildren. I have handled and currently handle cases like this and I strongly recommend that if you are a grandparent worried about your rights, give us a call.

Office Address:
325 South Ave.
Springfield, MO 65806

Phone: (417) 658-4172

Springfield, MO Divorce Attorney | Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy

Attorney Web Design

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Case results vary based on individual circumstances. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Choice of an Attorney is an Important Decision and Should Not be Based Solely on Advertising.